How to Write the Perfect Ecommerce Email Subject Line
- 1. 1. Introduction
- 2. 2. Email subject line rules
- 3. 3. Various types of email subject lines
- 4. 4. Advanced tactics to improve your email subject lines
- 5. 5. Rethinking the traditional subject line
- 6. 6. Additional considerations to craft the perfect email subject line
- 7. 7. Closing thoughts
Email Subject Lines: The First Big Hurdle
In email marketing, the first hurdle to overcome is getting your customers to open your message. And perhaps the most influential component of any email marketing campaign is your chosen subject line.
To better understand how Ecommerce marketers and store owners can formulate the perfect email subject line, we analyzed nearly 28 million emails — 27,879,642 to be exact — that users sent through the Conversio (previously Receiptful) platform. With all that data, our goal is to share information that can help improve how you craft future subject lines.
At Conversio, we group our users’ emails into three distinct categories:
- Follow-Up emails
- Abandoned Cart emails
For each, we analyzed:
- 17,432,183 Ecommerce Receipts, with an average 64.69% open rate
- 7,246,557 Follow-Up emails, with an average 41.95% open rate
- 3,200,902 Abandoned Cart emails, with an average 32.70% open rate
Of the 27,879,642 total emails sent, we saw an average 55.11% open rate among the transactional and lifecycle emails our users sent to their customers.
But before we get ahead of ourselves, let us lay some ground rules…
Grab a copy!
If you’re happy with this article, download a PDF version… No strings attached!
Start selling more and doing less today!Try It Free
Never miss a thing!
Get notified every time we release a new eBook, Guide or Podcast to get the most out of your ecommerce store.